Thursday 31 January 2013

SongBird Ocarina Little Wing Review


 Here's the little wing from Song Bird Ocarina that I received for my Birthday! 


To be honest, I was REALLY surprised by just how small it is compared to my other "F" soprano. The feel is very smooth and artistic but the holes are a little small so that makes it a little difficult to find them during play so it's been taking me a while to "break it in"..... to coin a phrase. >:3
If you get yourself one then I highly recommend you attach a good quality jump ring to it as a proper clip ring as seen above. As far as wear-ability goes, it's a very comfortable weight so you can easily carry it around your neck for long periods of time but make sure you adjust it so it doesn't hang too low and end up banging on things.

Playability? Well.... It's a toss up for me. See, My Lil' Blue is also an "F" soprano but it has 12 holes. The Little Wing is only a 10. Aside form my previous mention about getting the feel of things, the LW also suffers from high note squealing. Not Squeaking or shrilling. It Squeals. However with practice, patience and proper breath training most anyone should be able to overcome this problem.

I'm sorry if It sounds like I'm only pointing out the LW's flaws and not like it but The LW does indeed have a solid saving grace. It's CLARITY! My Lil blue suffers from what I'd call cloudy breath. It's notes sound, for lack of a better word...... Fuzzy. The LW on the other hand is clear and Sweet sounding to the ear without being shrill (provided you can control your breath. Acute bending helps with this). However, don't think I'd switch one out for the other. The LW is just a hair lighter in pitch compared to my LB and yet, I like that. They may be "the same" but they are indeed 2 different Ocs with their own unique characteristics. 
Example, My lil blue and my Dragon Tooth are perfect companions in duets that I've done. The little wing on the other hand doesn't play well with my DT BUT there are some songs that my LB can't play or not very well that the LW plays PERFECTLY! I think this little fellow is better off a soloist. If you're between a beginner and an intermediate and have no other Soprano or you're looking for one that's not ear piercingly high, then I would certainly recommend this. 

Overall, I'd give this a 3.5 out of 5. It's good. Ergonomics take a little getting use to and it has high note difficulty but nothing a modestly skilled Ocarinist can't overcome. Not the greatest but it's good.      

Later! A.M.

2 comments:

  1. Omg I want one where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. I guess I forgot to put a link. I'm not sure if they make the same kind as in this review any more but you can certainly ask. They're very friendly! :) http://www.songbirdocarina.com/collections/sound-healing-ocarinas-1/products/little-wing-ocarina

      Delete