Monday 17 February 2014

Focalink Ocarina Review.

Ever wonder what the difference is between all those different kinds of Focalink Alto 'C' Ocarinas on the market? Well wonder no more! 'Cause here I am to help explain at least half that question!

Today I'm reviewing/Comparing the Focalink ocarina models named "Allegro" and "Sonoro".







Did I mention that these 2 models can be purchased at my favorite Ocarina purveyor, Songbird Ocarinas!?

 [UPDATE] If you're shopping directly from Focalink/Stein's website, Here are the product code's for both the Allegro (12-AC-A) and the Sonoro (12-AC-B)

I recently acquired a white crackle Allegro Ocarina as 2nd place prize in The TONs of Fun Christmas contest and.... even though I already had a black Focalink.... This little guy's really starting to grow on me.




Wear-ability:
As alto ocarinas go, this one kinda freaks me out!
The Allegro Ocarina barely measures 5" in length and possesses about the same weigh as a large plastic model! In short, This sucker's a midget! 

As far as it's feel while playing, the holes are well defined and very easy to find without being uncomfortably big or small. An all around pleasure to hold if you have small hands but still want an alto ocarina. 
One final thing about the allegro's wear-ability that I like, is it has a drill hole where you can attach a Neck strap. I know neck straps get a bad rap but I prefer a Wrist strap.... like on a WII-mote.... XD






Play-ability:
Holding true to Focalink standards, The Allegro model is a solidly built ocarina, capable of going from soft and sweet to strong and robust! It might be little but if it's got something to say, you're gonna hear it! This will certainly add some variety to my performing arsenal as I'm sure it will do for you!

The BEST feature about the allegro model is you can say Adios to Acute bending! The high notes are bright and clear yet require very little in the way of special treatment to carry out their duties properly! I acute bend whether an ocarina needs it or not but trust me, you can get away with it on this Oc!

The only negative thing I can say about the Allegro models play-ability is it's a rather low breath Oc. It's not too kind to people with strong breath. Breath too hard and you lose some of that whisper sweet expression.

Special Feature:
I got to try out the new carry case Focalink is issuing out with their Ocarinas which includes a little terry cloth and wind-way tool for cleaning out the mouth piece! 





The tool and polish cloth are awesome but I like the holster style cases they made before. The rectangular ones are a little clunky for my liking.


 





The allegro model to sum up.
+Compact yet light
+Straightforward in pitch and tone
+No need for acute bend
-Not too crazy for the New square soft cases
-Low breath requirement .....(but that's just me)

The Allegro easily receives a 4 out of 5 from me! Excellent for a new or young performer.


 

Now the Comparison!

Let me introduce my black Sonoro style Focalink that I purchased from Mud_Man_Peter on The Ocarina Network forum. 



This was my first taste of what Focalink Ocarinas had to offer and I gotta tell you, I liked what I tasted... to coin a phrase... -_-"




Wear-ablility:
The Sonoro is a little longer than the Allegro measuring over 5" in length. This one in the hand feels a little closer to the Alto size we're all use to. Being a little longer it's also a little heavier... but not by much. The holes are also more evenly spaced on the ocarina compared to the Allegro model.
Not quite so compacted but fear not, the holes aren't as big as you might think.... well... the thumb holes maybe. 

The other nice thing about the longer 'tail' on the Sonoro, is you can wrap your pinky finger around it when you play the high notes for added stability.

Sadly The Sonoro model dose NOT have a drill hole for neck strap attachment..... Good idea to some, not to me.
 

Play-ability:
This is by far my preferred ocarina out of the pair, tuned specifically to achieve the bright and twittery likeness of a bird.... much like the ocarinas of yore and yet, is able to capture a little bit of resonance in it's low notes. Ergo, this is a very expressive ocarina when it's handler is properly trained.

As you may have guessed, The Sonoro is a little more demanding in it's breath requirement if you want it to reach full potential..... but not by much. Ironically, you need to be a bit careful to not over blow the thumb holes if you're prone to strong breathing. They may air out a bit on you.

The last thing needing mentioning on the Sonoro is that it does require a little acute bending for the last 3 holes.... but we're not talking much.... I guess I'm just a very intense player... :)
 

The Sonoro Ocarina to sum up
+Showcase model of Focalink quality
+Bright and chirpy
+Expressive
+Well balanced in weight and size
-acute bending required a little (Not a negative in my books but...)
-No neck strap attachment

This is my ideal Ocarina alongside my Hans Rotter Z-fan, meaning this a solid 4.5 out of 5 in my books.
 

So over all, both The Allegro and Sonoro are solid built, quality ocarinas.... it just depends on your taste as a musician. The Allegro I'd recommend for beginners and the Sonoro.... I guess for the more ambitious of beginners... XD

I hope this review/comparison was a help to anyone who was scratching their heads over this before.
Later! A.M.

 

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic review, Zero! You sure know how to write a well informed review as well as keeping the reader entertained. I am sure many will find this review along with the characteristics between the two ocarinas very helpful! :)

    ReplyDelete