Sunday 3 February 2013

New Vista pendant Ocarina Review

Here's a review of my New Vista Pendant Ocarina from Ebay that I received as a gift from my dear sweet mum. ♥ 

BTW Thanks for the 2000+ views!  ;) You guys are awesome!

Where do I start......... It's pretty....... and it's not too expensive for a pendant...... Okay! I'm done! Later!............................. Okay! Common! I'm kidding. Please come back. XD

Wear-ability: 
It's about the size of a baseball. It's roughly 2 & 1/2 inches across, 3 inches tall and about 1 and 1/2 inches deep. It's not a particularly heavy ocarina but I wouldn't wear it around for a long time simply because: 1. It's large in size. (It's a little clunky for me.2. If you don't feel the weight now you'll feel it later.
It comes with a soft nylon cord that, if you don't mind neck straps, can easily have sliding knots equipped. It's certainly an eye catching pendant to say the least. I've had people ask me about it when I wear it. 

Where do they come from? Not from Ebay! Well okay you can get them there but that's not their true home. Their home is apparently a store called Red music shop They don't sell just ocarinas. They sell many a manner of Chinese instruments including Xuns and Erhus....... WOW! I've actually been surprising myself with this review. I'd better keep going!
You get 4 colors to choose from.
 










They make their altos in 2 styles. Up there and down there.

They also make 12 hole alto and soprano ocarinas in the flower pattern as well as some straw fired and pearl white. Even 2 colors of double Ocarina! but I don't have any of these. Go and take a look for yourself! 
 








However as any good ocarinist knows 
"All show and no play makes for a Peruvian sort of day." 

Playability:.... Remember? We're talking about a pendant.
It's a decent middle of the road ocarina. It's no Tenrai but it's by no means a cheap novelty whistle. It's tuned accordingly to alto C and designed for the English fingering system. It's sound is reasonably clear but it does take a good amount of breath to achieve such clarity.....(I recommend you not be shy with your breath.)  It does have a rather weak high note though (the highest in the scale) and sadly, acute bending has no effect. You CAN however "roll your thumb" off and have it just barely cover the edge of the hole to fix this. 
But what it lacks in the former, it makes up for with strong and expressive capabilities. I'm still kinda at a loss for words. Perhaps a demonstration is in order. One moment please.

Here we are! I just threw this together so please don't get annoyed if it's not perfect.
 I've never recorded this ocarina before and I must say it actually has a very pleasing and Chinese like tone to it. Maybe I should carry this around more often and give it the chance it deserves. 

Overall Score?..... 3.5 to 4 out of 5. The best way to sum this little pendant up is "Surprising to say the least!" It's a decent little pendant to keep around. I like mine because it gives me a little variety in my collection and I'm sure it will do the same for you.

Later! A.M. 

Side note: This is an Erhu.
I LOVE how these sound. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment